Monday, October 3, 2011

The practice 5K

If this was two years ago, I would not be happy waking up at six in the morning on a Sunday.  That has changed over the last few years and in particular the last month.  Yesterday was the Susan G. Komen race for the cure 5K where my aunt and two other friends were brave enough to wake up at an unholy hour to join me.

Sadly, since it was my first 5K, I signed up for the non-timed race because I'm inexperienced and mainly just cheap.  It was my misunderstanding of the situation of the race though, were I thought we would be started after the timed race with the walkers... and boy was I wrong about that!  Since my friend (the one that didn't race) and I wanted to jog we decided to try, but it was just too hard to weave through the large crowd of people.  So this 5K is not counting towards my list, since I walked most of the race and didn't exactly feel accomplished.

The whole experience was still wonderful.  The survivor ceremony was emotional and we walked around and collect free goodies (pens, bracelets, etc.)  It also feels wonderful to know that our registration is all donated to a good cause to help out the brave women who are fighting for their lives.

What lessons have I learned?  1. My endurance is low.   2. I need to remember to use my inhaler before I start jogging and not leave it in the car.  3. Start the race with the rest of the joggers.  4. Always give myself a monthly check (the hard part is remembering).

So my friend and I are committing to jog in the Halloween 5K race (I need a creative costume idea!!) and the Turkey Trot.  I'm looking for some useful and free training tips and plan on being better prepared for the next race!

No comments:

Post a Comment